There are only 3 main categories of interview questions
- Can you do the job?
- Will you do the job?
- Will you fit in?
Can you do the job? – questions about your track record and capability
How is your experience relevant to this job?
Tell me about your most significant achievements?
Will you do the job? – your approach to work and your motivation
What was it like working for your previous employer – highs and lows?
If you get this job, how long will you stay with us?
Will you fit in? – testing your fit with the company culture and image
How do you get to know and understand new colleagues?
How do you cope with a change of environment?
Essential homework – be ready for these questions:
- Tell me about yourself
- Why do you want this job?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- Why should we hire you?
“Do you have any questions?”
- prepare some questions in advance
- take the opportunity to restate your interest in the role
- be as company and industry specific as possible
Give the interviewer something to remember you by
12 Golden Rules
- Listen carefully to the question
- Avoid ‘yes/no’ answers when you can
- Speak clearly and stick to the point
- Use “I” not “We”
- Demonstrate that you have prepared
- Check if you have given enough information
- Ask for clarification
- Give examples to back up your points
- Take time to think before answering
- Be positive about your skills and achievements
- Anticipate, prepare and perform!
- Never speak badly of your past employer/boss